Thursday, October 19, 2017

Little Blue Truck Halloween Costume


My son's favorite book is Little Blue Truck  written by Alice Schertle  and illustrated by Jill McElmurry. He asks us to read it to him every day and it's a book that I never get sick of because it's well written and has a great message.

Since he loves the book so much, I decided he needed to be the Big Green Toad driving the Little Blue Truck for Halloween this year!



I first got to work on the Toad costume. I found green basics at Primary. I purchased sweatpants and a hooded sweatshirt. I used adhesive backed felt to create the belly and bumps on the toad. Using adhesive backed felt means that I can remove them and he can wear the pants and sweatshirt again after Halloween! The eyes of the toad are 3 inch white styrofoam balls attached to the hoodie. To attach them I cut a 2 inch circle of the adhesive backed green felt and super glued the styrofoam to the circle. Once the eye was stuck to the felt, I removed the paper backing on the felt and just stuck the circle to the hood.



With the Toad costume completed, I moved on to creating the Little Blue Truck!

My husband found this Little Tikes Cozy Truck listed very cheap on Craigslist and I thought it was perfect for what I wanted to do!


For the truck makeover, I stripped all of the sticker decals off of the entire truck and gave it a good bath. Once it was dry I covered the wheels and steering wheel with plastic bags and spray painted the entire truck blue.



I let the blue paint dry for 2 days, then I taped off the bumper and sprayed it silver.


I cut the shape of the front grill/hood ornament piece out of cardboard. I glued several layers of the cutout cardboard together so that it would be thicker and stronger. I sprayed it sliver and painted black lines on it for the grill. I attached it to the truck with 3M adhesive strips.

The truck eyes or headlights actually work! They are 2 touch activated battery operated LED lights mounted to the truck.


And the last little detail... that has nothing to do with the book... I added a new personalized license plate decal to back of the truck!




The Little Blue Truck's book cover has all of the animals piled in the back of the truck. To get that look, I tied 4 animal shaped balloons to the back handle of the truck. The balloons can be found HERE.


This was fun to make and was so happy I could do this for my son! 

xo Lizzie




6 comments:

  1. This is GENIUS! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      w8. .

      Delete
  2. I am so in love with this idea!!! I have tried painting a cozy coupe before and it was a disaster. The paint kept peeling away. How long did your paint job last after your child was actually using it? Any tips? Did you sand it? Just the spray paint and good to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I just did this project. I did not sand it. You absolutely need the Rustoleum spray paint in the photo. I would have at least 2 cans of blue spray. And if kids are going to be banging it around, it will likely chip, so be prepared to touch it up. I used heavy duty velcro strips for the eye lights.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your response. I actually used the Rustoleum before and it didn't work well - go figure. I"m curious, in the very, very fine print on the Rustoleum can that said you could use on plastics, there was a sentence that said - don't use on a cozy coupe, LOL. We ended up using the Krylon Fusion paint and that seemed better, but I'm always looking for better options.

      Delete
  3. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    SL. .

    ReplyDelete